Black Bottom Pumpkin Pie
|Preparation time:||30 minutes + chilling of pastry|
|Cooking time:||1 hour 10 minutes|
|Use:||One 9-inch pie plate|
|Serves:||8 to 10|
FOR THE CRUST
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, or shortening, or a combination, cut into cubes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water, as needed
FOR THE FILLING
- One 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or brandy
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ ounces dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa content, coarsely chopped
Whisk together the flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter and/or shortening until the mixture forms large crumbs. Sprinkle the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, over the mixture and toss gently with a fork until the dough just comes together without crumbling apart. Form the dough into a disc, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
On a floured surface, roll the dough into an 11-inch circle. Transfer it to a 9-inch pie place and crimp the edges. Line the crust with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the paper and weights from the crust. Continue baking a further 5 minutes more. Transfer crust to a rack to cool slightly.
Reduce over temperature to 325°F.
In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree with the cream and eggs until smooth. Whisk in the brown sugar, rum, spices and salt, taking care that the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps of brown sugar.
Scatter the chocolate over the bottom of the crust. Pour over the pumpkin mixture. Bake until the filling is just set, about 45 minutes. It will seem wobbly in the center, but it is perfect. Cool for 2 hours before serving.